DIY Thumbprint heart magnets for
Looking for that perfect Valentine’s Day gift? This simple craft will capture those sweet little thumbprints in an adorable thumbprint heart magnet keepsake.
Last year my PreK class made these adorable magnets as Valentine’s Day gifts for their parents. But they would also make wonderful Christmas, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, or Grandparent’s Day gifts as well.
Simple homemade keepsakes like these DIY thumbprint heart magnets are always a favorite with friends, family, and loved ones.
They are super easy to make. Keep reading for a supply list and step by step directions.
Thumbprint Magnet Supplies:
Gather the following simple supplies to make thumbprint glass magnets.
- Paper ( bright white cardstock works great!)
- Finger ink pads
- Extra-large clear glass gems ( I found these1 1/2-inch flat back glass gems at my local dollar store, but they can also be found on Amazon or craft stores. Make sure there is no iridescent coating on them. Glass gems are also known as flat back marbles, table scatter, cabochons, or floral stones and can be found at most craft stores and at some floral shops.)
- Clear drying glue (I have use Mod Podge as well as Elmers)
- 1-inch ceramic magnets
How to make a Thumbprint Heart Magnet:
1. Make The Print
- Press your child’s thumb into the inkpad. Make sure you get a good amount of ink on the thumb.
- Press his thumb diagonally on to the cardstock then lift the thumb. Now stamp again to create a V shape.
- If you feel like the ink is not dark enough, press your thumb back into the ink pad and stamp over the heart again. Be super careful with this step.
- Let dry.
2. Stick On The Glass Gem
- Apply the clear glue on the flat side of the glass gem and stick it over the thumb printed heart so it is visible from the top.
- Let dry.
3. Trim The Edges
- Using a pair of scissors, trim the rough edges of the paper around the gem.
4. Stick The Magnet
- Peel the sticker off the magnet and stick it behind the thump printed heart on the flat side of the glass gem. The magnet should not be visible.
NOW WASNT THAT EASY?